The long awaited redevelopment of the Parish Centre at Christ the King Church finally commenced on 1 February 2010.
The redevelopment was about 4 years in the planning as various options were explored to try to match the aspirations with the budget. A final scheme and cost was approved by the Archdiocese in October 2010 and planning consent was obtained in January 2010. The total budget for the project was £305k including VAT, Fees etc.
The project was designed by Peterson Williams and the main Contractor was Kingfisher Developments (Wales) Ltd. Cost Management services were provided by Chris Stevens Consultancy and Bernard Adshead acted as Project Manager for the Parish Advisory Council.
The existing Parish Centre was constructed in 1953 as a Mass centre in N Cardiff, an area which was rapidly expanding, and was originally called Our Lady Queen of the Universe. It has been used as Parish Centre since 1979 when the new church, which was renamed as Christ the King, was opened on the same site. The facilities in the Centre were in need of upgrading and some additional facilities were required.
The redevelopment provides a new extension containing a new main entrance, toilets, kitchen and a Parish office. New store rooms have been provided, the existing meeting room extended and the main hall upgraded.
In June 2010 a successful application was made to Cardiff Council for a Community Project Grant to assist with the fit out of the kitchen.
The building was handed over in early November 2010 and was officially opened on 21 November 2010, the feast of Christ The King, by Rev Mgr Canon Bob Reardon, a former Parish Priest of Christ the King.