Download our Advent and Christmas Flyer for further details and how to be part of our celebrations.
Dear parishioners and friends of our 3 Churches,
It’s Advent – a new Church year. The season’s themes point us to the future, and we are invited to prepare not just for the great feast of December 25 .
This first Sunday we also prepare for the great Second Coming of Christ, and so find ourselves “in between”. We are in between the first and second advents of Jesus. Our faith rooted in the first gives us great expectation of the second, and a firm and clear route to get from the one to the other – the road of the Gospel.
As the Year of the Word moves to its conclusion, let us set out on this royal road with renewed faith and conviction.
Download our 3 churches newsletter for Sunday 16 December below.
Download issue 44/18 of our 3 churches newsletter below
Advent, the season of preparation for Christmas, starts Sunday 2 December.
Let’s make sure we are “prepared for our preparation” in good time.
* Groups are starting during the week beginning Monday 26 November to follow “Journeying towards Jesus” by Fr Denis McBride CSsR. To join a group contact the leader direct – for Monday afternoon tel. Tess Evans on 2075 5528, for Monday evening email Esther Mahoney, for Wednesday afternoon Sheila Roberts and Thursday afternoon Nigel Tuck. (note contact email addresses are shown in the downloadable newsletter pdf)
* And now, something new for us for Advent – “Reverse Calendars”! Instead of marking out the days by taking out of a calendar more chocolate or sweets to guzzle (as if Christmas wasn’t enough), why not instead put insome food each day into a box or bag that can then be brought along and given to the homeless or hungry. We want to run this between the first and third Sundays of Advent – 2nd and 16th December, in order for the proceeds to be distributed in time. More details in the newsletter.
* We will hold a Reconciliation Service at Christ the King on Monday 3 December at 7pm. Several priests will be present to help your spiritual preparedness.
* This year we will bring Carol Singing out into our 3 communities. You are invited to gather at one or more of our 3 Churches at 7pm on the following days. We will then visit surrounding streets singing carols, not to raise money, but purely to help to bring the Christian message of Christmas peace and joy into our neighbourhoods.
On Sunday 9 December we will be at Christ the King, Wednesday 12 December at St Paul’s and Sunday 16 December at St Brigid’s. Come to any or all, whatever is possible for you!
* Closer to Christmas itself we will then have our 3 Churches Carol Service, this year at St Paul’s on Wednesday 19 December. Put this in your diary, and be sure to invite someone along with you – there will be mulled wine and mince pies!
So – plenty to pray, think and do in this lovely season that is fast approaching. How will you mark Advent 2018, and how will our children and grandchildren know it is so important? It’s up to us all…